Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pioneer Trek Week - 15 Minute Pioneer Shirt



Today I want to show you how to make a simple pioneer shirt.  For more information on why I am making a Trek shirt and dressing like a pioneer, click here!

I originally found a tutorial for this in some random place online, but it wasn't a website so I couldn't pin it.  I redid this tutorial, tweaked it and made it my own, but the link to the original is here.  

To start, you need a button down shirt in 1 size larger than you normally wear.  I bought mine at the Goodwill for $2.  Plaids, stripes and solids are all good choices.

Step 1:  Measure down 12 inches from the collar and cut through placket.  (The placket is the part of the shirt with button holes.)

Step 2:  Turn shirt inside out.  Place buttons and placket right sides together, and pin.



Step 3:  Stitch together at edge of placket from bottom of shirt to the cut.


Step 4:  Press seam.


Step 5: Turn shirt right side out again.  Button up the shirt.  Tuck cut edge of the placket under and pin in place at the seam.



Step 6:  Sew a square and and "x" for reinforcement.

Step 7:  Cut off the collar just above the band.  Since it is stitched right there, it won't fray.

That's it!  Your Pioneer Trek shirt is now complete!


And as a side note, this shirt is actually for me.  But my husband was a good sport and modeled it for me.  lol!  And it IS turquoise, not light blue as it appears here.  I figure if I have to be dirty, sleep with no pillow and not wear makeup, at least I can wear some fun colors, right?

13 comments:

Bradshaw Family said...

Ryan, you look really good in your wife's shirt. You were a good sport! My husband wouldn't do that. :) Maybe you should take a job as a model. LOL!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness. That is awesome!! I'm totally linking!

Emily said...

Done! http://howtodresslikeapioneer.blogspot.com/2012/07/15-minute-mans-pioneer-shirt.html

Elaine said...

Just made two shirts for my son. Thanks for this!

Sims Family said...

I'm glad you like it! :) I hope they turned out great!

mommamindy said...

Thanks for the tutorial! We made one in school yesterday. We're homeschooling through the Little House on the Prairie books using the Prairie Primer.

We'll be using your bonnet tutorial next!

http://mommamindyprairieprimer.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/repurposed-pioneer-shirt/

Jenn Nielsen said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. My son is going on trek in a couple of weeks and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing. This will help. :)

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Everуone loves what yоu guys tend tο be up too.
Such clevеr ωork and coverage!
Кeep uр thе aweѕome works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll.

Here is my web page ... cheap party pills

Anonymous said...

This paragrаph offers clеar iԁea for the neω userѕ οf blogging, that truly
how to dο blogging.

Here іs my page lloyd irvin

Anonymous said...

generic propecia online propecia generic canada - can you buy propecia canada

Anonymous said...

This smart idea just completely saved my life. In preparing for sending out a missionary, I totally ignored preparations for my younger son's trek. Your idea will save me so much time and money. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Pam said...

I am linking it to our blog for trek preparation. thank you!

louisvillekystaketrek2013.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi! My maiden name is Sims and I'm just wondering if we are related? I happened to be looking up info on a pioneer trek and your site popped up. Great stuff, by the way-